Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Canning Jar Oatmeal to Go

This post was originally published on January 28, 2015 on River-Bliss.com. 


It's been ages since I've written a foodie post! But I just have to share my reinvention of an idea I came across a couple years ago on Pinterest: Canning Jar Oatmeal To Go. It's similar to the instant oatmeal packets you can buy pre-made but sooooo much more wholesome! I made a case of it for my daughter when she was busy working and taking college courses, and she loved it. You put the dry ingredients in a glass jar with a lid, and when you're ready to consume it, just add boiling water, put the lid back on, and let it soak and soften for a few minutes. My favorite jars for this are 16-oz. salsa jars or wide-mouthed mason jars.


I wanted to start making the instant oatmeal jars again recently, but the recipe was no longer available online, and I hadn't saved or printed it. So I created my own which, in my opinion, is even better than the original. It's so simple! The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
  • 1 tsp. chia seeds (optional)
  • 1 tsp. hemp hearts (optional)
  • 1 Tbs. brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
  • 1 Tbs. raisins
  • 1 Tbs. dried fruit, diced (such as apples, strawberries, or mangoes)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • Pinch of allspice
  • Pinch of cloves
Procedure

Stir the mixture to combine, and then screw on the lid. When you're ready to eat it, add boiling water nearly to the rim, stir, put the lid back on, and let it sit for a few minutes - and remember to bring a spoon! The jar can be quite hot at first, so you might want to wrap a dish towel around it if you're going to transport or handle it.

It's delicious as is, but I often bring along a banana to chop and add to the cooked oatmeal. It's a nice touch but not necessary by any means! You can keep a couple jars in your car and have an instant meal anytime with a quick stop for hot water.

Enjoy!

© Susan Meyer and River Bliss Photography, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material, including all text and photos, without express and written permission from this website’s author/owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Susan Meyer and River Bliss Photography (river-bliss.com) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

No comments:

Post a Comment